We’ve swapped Earnest Eats American Blend Hot and Fit Cereal for whole oats in one of our favorite holiday recipes to give it a Superfood and yummy goodie boost!
Cran-Apple Quinoa Crisp Recipe
4 cups peeled chopped apples
1 12 ounce bag of fresh cranberries
2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
3/4 cup pure cane sugar
1 ½ cups Earnest Eats American Blend Hot cereal
3/4 cups chopped pecans
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine melted
handful of pecan halves and whole cranberries for garnish
Combine apples, cranberries and 2 tablespoons flour, tossing tocoat.
Add cane sugar mixing well. Place in a two quart casserole dish.
In a separate bowl, combine Earnest Eats hot cereal, chopped pecans,1/2 cup flour and brown sugar
Add melted butter and stir well.
Spoon topping over fruit mixture.
Bake, uncovered at 350 for 40 minutes
Garnish with pecan halves and cranberries.
Bake 5 minutes longer
Yield 8 generous servings.
Hi Friends -
I’m excited to share with you another of our Hot & Fit innovations this summer – our Earnest Eats hot cereal cups:
- Super Grain blend of Quinoa, Amaranth & Oats
- American, Mayan & Asia Blends
- Just add hot water and let sit for 3-4 minutes
- Delicious and ready to go, anywhere, anytime
And fair warning – when you break one of these out you may experience a serious round of breakfast envy from co-workers, family and friends
SUPERFOOD HOT CEREAL – TO GO
What I love about our hot cereal cups is that they have all the greatness of our Hot & Fit cereals but are easy to take with you when you didn’t think a healthy option was possible. Like our Hot & Fit canisters, our Hot & Fit hot cereals have Whole Oats, Quinoa and Amaranth, plus nuts, seeds and dried fruits like almonds, mango, cranberries, cocoa and cashews for a powerhouse of nutrition and flavor. Our friend Greg gave us an early review (thanks Greg!):
“I tried this one [Mayan] in the morning. Outstanding!! Great flavor, mouth feel, and the goodie factor was stellar. Also, it kept me full until lunch and looks so cool visually. I was reading the ingredients whilst eating and getting super pumped. One more thing, I was able to use our hot water dispenser, no boiling or microwaving required. Made it even more convenient.”
TOP 5 PLACES I’M USING OUR HOT CUPS
I’ve been surprised how often I’m using the cups for a healthy breakfast instead of less-good options I was using – here’s my Top 5:
- Airport – A biggie because I hate the low quality, high calorie options there – and so easy because our hot cups are not liquid and go through security just fine. I just ask for hot water near my gate.
- In the car – I add hot water and put in my beverage holder
- Hiking – looking forward to this one!
- Backpack/Briefcase – because they’re good wherever you can get hot water – coffee stations work great – I’ve got them in my pack and pop them out when I’m offsite or at an office – instant awesome breakfast envy
- At my Desk – Nice to settle in at my desk with some hot oolong tea and a Hot & Fit cup!
I’d love to hear where you find yourself using them.
Our whole food ingredients make for incredible nutrition for breakfast:
- Fiber, Excellent Source, 6-7g, from 100% whole grains
- Protein 8-9g, from our combination of whole grains, nuts and seeds
- About ½ the sugar of other hot cups (and we use non-GMO minimally processed real cane sugar from our friends at Zulka Pure Cane Sugar)
- Vegan, Wheat-Free, 100% natural, Dairy-Free
WHERE TO FIND: EARNEST EATS.com
Right now you will only find our hot cereal cups at Earnesteats.com Select coffeehouses (please ask your barista!) and natural foods stores will have them nationwide later this fall. [Please note our Hot & Fit multi-serving canisters are now in or going into Whole Foods Northern California, The Fresh Market nationwide, Wegman's and Raley's Supermarkets]. I invite you to try them and tell us what you think!
- Reviews of our Hot & Fit Cereals:
- Hungry Girl says:”That Mayan one is face-meltingly good”. Thanks Hungry Girl!
- Kate Lowenstein at Health.com said- “All three cereals—the Americas blend, with cranberries and almonds, the Mayan blend, with dark cocoa, almonds, and pepitas, and the Asian blend, with mango and green tea—are impressively low in sugar (2 g or less per serving) and high in protein (6g) and fiber (5g)”. Thanks Health Magazine blog!
- Articles on Superfood Nutrition and Ingredients:
- For more detail on our superfood ingredients:
Hi Friends –
Have you ever been working on something for so long and couldn’t stand keeping it a secret anymore? Well that’s how I feel here at Earnest Eats today – we’ve been working for over 2 years to create two totally new food offerings and I’m incredibly excited to share them with you:
1) Earnest Eats Hot & Fit hot cereals
2) Earnest Eats Chewy Granola Bars
Different Foods with Common Roots
Both our chewy granola bars and hot cereals spring from the same Earnest Eats intention – our attempt ‘in earnest’ to bring you foods that represent a higher consciousness of what foods can be for us – made from whole food ingredients to be healthier, vegan, natural and at the same time also a celebration of flavors, textures and aromas. Common to both our Chewy Granola Bars and Hot & Fit Cereals:
- Super Food Grain blend of whole grain oats, amaranth and quinoa – I like the higher protein, fiber and nutrition this blend provides but I love what it does for texture – chewier, richer, more complex.
- Vegan, wheat-free, 100% natural – just like our Baked Bars and Granola Planks. We believe foods shouldn’t be an either/or proposition eg. Why cant’ we have Tasty AND Vegan?
- Creative combinations of whole food ingredients – Matcha Green Tea, Mango, Pomegranate, Cashews and Pepitas are just a few of the whole food ingredients we use in our creative combinations.
Where to Find Our New Foods, Including Target!
You can find our Hot Cereals and Chewy Granola Bars on our webstore at www.earnesteats.com and select Target stores nationwide. We are planning on being in natural foods stores like Whole Foods, and coffeehouses nationwide later this summer, as well as on Amazon.com and Vitacost.com.
Target Store Locations – Click a state to find the store address:
Earnest Eats Hot & Fit hot cereal
I’ve always loved hot cereal. I’d been playing with different blends of whole grains, nuts, seeds, fruits and spices in my kitchen – even steeping with tea. As with anything creative, I found myself sharing these experiences with friends and family, some overseas, and was surprised to hear how hot cereal in various forms is enjoyed in most places around the world – 8 Treasures Porridge in China, various porridges in Korea and Japan and of course throughout Europe and the Americas. Our Earnest team gave incredible input as well, especially Jim, our head of operations, who’s a big hot cereal fan and veritable nutrition sage.
We wanted to create a powerhouse breakfast with worldly flavors that was unlike anything available on the market today – a breakfast option that enriches, energizes, and nourishes the body with real, whole-food ingredients.
Our Earnest Eats Hot & Fit Cereals combine satisfying super food grains, which have been cultivated for centuries and are highly esteemed for their superior protein, fiber and phytonutrients, with powerhouse ingredients from around the globe, like rich dark cocoa, naturally-sweet fruits, and toasted nuts and seeds in 3 flavors:
- American Blend: Cranberries + Almonds
- Mayan Blend: Dark Cocoa + Cashews + Pepitas
- Asian Blend: Mango + Matcha Green Tea
As you can imagine these are a very different experience from regular oatmeal and I hope you love them as much as we do!
Our Hot & Fit hot cereals take only five minutes to prepare and pair perfectly with milk, almond milk, soy milk or plain water. We left them essentially unsweetened so that you are only getting whole food greatness, leaving the type of sweetener and level of sweetness up to you. Some of us on the Earnest team like it without sweetener, others with agave, honey or brown sugar.
Each serving has 190 calories or less and contains less than 2 grams of sugar while providing extraordinary nutrition with more than 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber (an excellent source).
Earnest Eats Chewy Granola Bars
Like our Hot & Fit hot cereals, our Chewy Granola Bars have a base of super food grains – whole oats, amaranth and quinoa – for slow-release energy, protein, fiber and phytonutrients. If you’re like me, you use Chewy Granola Bars anytime you need a snack – at the office, on-the-go, in the car – so it’s nice to have fuel you can feel good about. We have nearly 50% less sugar in our bars compare to the mainstream brands, so they are just sweet enough to satisfy cravings, naturally in 3 yummy flavors:
- Super Food Trail Mix: Pomegranate + Cranberries + Almonds
- Dark Chocolate Almond: Dark Chocolate + Almonds
- Power Grains & Flax: Super Food Grains + Almonds + Flax
All 3 come in convenient 5 count packs for the pantry and can be found in the granola bar section of stores. They are a perfect snack-size at 35g (1.25 oz) for only 140-150 calories per bar.
One other note – I wanted to keep these as whole food as possible so you won’t find any soy protein isolate in our bars to ‘up’ the protein – we believe the nuts and grains are a healthier way to provide protein.
We hope you take a moment to check out our new foods – and if you like them may we please ask you to share them with family and friends?
I can’t wait to hear what YOU think!
Hello friends – We are very excited to share with you more details about our new Earnest Eats Baked Whole Food Bar Flavors: Double Chocolate Espresso and Dark Chocolate Mint .
We’ve had so many requests for more chocolate flavors that we couldn’t resist launching two of them – both use the same base ingredients of our other baked bars – organic whole oats and almond butter - but add real espresso and real dried mint leaves for an indulgent kick to taste buds.
In our HQ Mira has been scolding me for eating too many of them, and telling me unkind things like I’m going to get fat, but that is at least an indication of how irresistible they are! And hey, with 4g of fiber per serving (as much as a bowl of raisin bran), I can tell you that one of them with a cup of tea or coffee for breakfast really settles my appetite for quite some time. So take that, Mira! (editor’s note – i can only joke with her because she’s one of our favorites here ).
Both are now in our warehouse and rolling out to our retail customers – Safeway stores with natural foods sections will be one of the first to carry them – but you can now find them on our earnesteats.com webstore too.
- WORLD’S FIRST REFUGEE HARVEST MINT!
- 100% NATURAL WHOLE FOOD INGREDIENTS
- WHEAT-FREE & VEGAN
Of particular fantastic-ness is that we use real mint leaves grown and harvested by refugees here in the U.S. on community farms. This is part of our friendship with the International Rescue Committee who runs these community farms in a program called “New Roots”, as part of their global efforts to bring people “From Harm to Home.” If you haven’t heard about the IRC i highly recommend checking them out at http://www.rescue.org/ - they do amazing work helping people wherever there is conflict in the world.
Each bar we sell carries as $0.10 donation to the IRC, and we purchase the mint directly from their U.S. community farms at above fair trade pricing to help support their efforts. It’s the first program of it’s kind that we’ve heard of, and a really special way I think to connect ourselves from farm to helping people to table. This has been an incredible effort for the IRC to certify their community farms for use as ingredients in a food, and I want to give special thanks to Emily, Ellee, Danielle and the rest of the team at the IRC for helping make this happen. We’ll share more details soon but think of this as your sneak peek.
Hi friends – it’s been a too long since our last posting. I wanted to share with you today a delicious Vegan recipe from our friend Isabel Cruz (see above photo), celebrity chef and owner of Isabel Pearl in Portland, Barrio Star and Coffee Cup in San Diego and a number of other restaurants as well as her own cookbook – Isabel’s Cantina. She’s been a great friend of mine for quite some time and I’ve always loved her latin-asian yet casual cuisine. If you like the recipe please check out her cookbook or restaurants at http://www.isabelscantina.com/restaurants.php Please let me know how you like her recipe!
Quinoa with Green Olives and Red Onions – 4 to 6 servings
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed and drained
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ¾ cup green olives, halved and pitted
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (1 to 2 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Place the quinoa in a medium saucepan and cover with 2 cups cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce the heat so that the mixture simmers. Cover and cook until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the salt and pepper, and set aside.
Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes, and then add the bell pepper. Continue cooking until the bell pepper has softened, about 3 minutes. Add the olives, stirring well to combine, and cook for 1 minute more.
Stir the sautéed vegetables into the quinoa. Add the lemon juice, the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, the cumin, and cilantro. Toss well to combine. Serve the quinoa warm, at room temperature, or cold. The quinoa can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.